View Single Post
Old March 12, 2012, 09:06 PM   #96
Unclenick
Staff

We had a couple pictures up on another forum where a fellow had broken two Rock Chucker castings in a row. Big guy who admitted to being ham handed. But it can happen to anybody except maybe that Corbon.

Lee did finally come up with a steel yoke to replace the old Challenger casting. Even so, I've got one of those old ones that's still going strong with the original part. Does lots of odd jobs, like decapping and bullet sizing. I don't often size brass on it these days, so it has an easy life, but I did resize some .30-06 on it not too long ago while watching TV (it's on a portable stand) and it worked fine. I have a Lee Classic Cast single-stage press that's on a newer bench I built that has antistatic shielding, isolated power, and other frills, and it winds up doing various things for me ranging from bullet hardness testing to loading my .45-70's (so I don't have to change shell holders on the Co-ax press; I'm lazy).

Mike Irwin is correct about lubricating the Lee Auto Prime tool. I put a little ceramic lube in mine once and haven't had to add lube since, but also no can't find the tube of lube to recommend it. I'm sure warming up the metal and burnishing some Mil-comm 25B in would work well, too, and probably be fairly permanent. Lots of options, though.

The main thing I like about Lee is their ingenuity. They often seem to come up with very clever or simple ideas. The Lee Collet Die and their push-through bullet sizing dies are examples of those two principles. I've deburred my Collet Dies and lapped them and permanently lubed them to make them work more smoothly and give me a little more feel, but that's just about personal preferences. The basic device is very good and leaves necks essentially perfectly straight because there's no expander needed and no donut formed. I use that tool in conjunction with the Redding Body Die to prep cases for prone slow fire and for about anything else I shoot at 600 yards and beyond.

The Lee push-through bullet sizing dies are a convenience. I pop one in the press and quickly run through a tray of bullets when I want to change the size. Easier to set up than changing a die on my lubrisizer.

There are other Lee tools I use. Their 6-cavity bullet molds have done well for me and produced very accurate bullets. I keep one of their hand tools in my range load development kit, along with several of their no-longer-made compact Speed Dies for pistol, their shell holder kits, a Perfect powder measure with second hopper (the measure does better than my portable scale on windy days), and a powder funnel of theirs is in there, too. A Lee trimmer is in the box just because it's lighter than others I own And don't forget the ubiquitous powder scoops. I don't know many people who use them often, but every once in awhile they come in handy for test load fiddling.

I have several sets of dies of theirs, too. I believe they mention they are the only maker honing their rifle sizing dies to final size, so they are very round. What I like about the .223 set I have is that it is on the large size of spec, which prevents extra slop in the old 788 chamber.

Others may have different experiences. I'm torn about whether to wish Lee's finish efforts were better or not. It's easy to say yes, but then we'd have to pay for it. This way I can clean them up and polish them to my own purposes. And if I mess it up, it's not that expensive to replace.

Lee has some quirky stuff. The O-ring lock nuts are an interesting example. They really bug some people and they are less convenient than a cross-bolt locking ring it you want to use the exact same setup over and over without readjustment. On the other hand, if you read through the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide, you'll find intentionally sandwiching an o-ring between the locking ring and press is one method of floating a die slightly to improve self-alignment. You may have to polish the threads some first to make that work to best advantage, but it sometimes can help keep the finished round more straight.

So, life sometimes gives you a choice between good and bad, sometimes between six of one, half dozen of the other, and sometimes it hands you a pleasant surprise for your money. Lee's got some things you don't find elsewhere.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02993 seconds with 8 queries