Thread: LEO Only Forum
View Single Post
Old November 14, 1998, 08:23 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

[I apologize in advance for the length of this post]

This thread is a continuation of a topic that came up in the Handgun Forum. The question on the floor relates to the proposed development of a private Law Enforcement Forum on this site.

In an effort to establish some common ground, let me set forth the goals of of this site. It is the mission of The Firing Line to promote the safe and responsible ownership and use of firearms, thru education, dialogue and interaction. To this end, we encourage everyone from novice to expert to contribute and learn.

Our interest in protecting the Second Amendment, demands that we attempt to bring together John Q. Citizen, law enforcement professionals and military personnel so that each may better understand that we really are on the same page.

And so we question whether an LEO Only Forum will bring greater participation from that sector to the open forums or have the opposite effect.

SKN: When I referenced "increasing tension" between LEO's and other citizens, I was speaking to the increasing sense of frustration at the erosion of our freedoms and the growing tendency to inappropriately equate the badge with that erosion. I know from your posts that this concerns you as much as me. It is one of the primary goals of this site to help narrow that gap, one individual at a time.

Rob: Fell right into my trap, eh? If we start an LEO Only Forum, it would be my intent to beat you into the Moderator position. However, I do believe you would require help with the screening process...lot's of it.

01paw: You and Kod are "charter" members of this site. Should the day come that you disagree with our decisions and choose to leave, I assure you it will not be without a struggle . Seriously, your input is highly valued. Based on what you and Rob have stated, I certainly intend to look very closely at this issue and have no immediate plans to move forward. (BTW, I would also be ineligible from entering an LEO Only Forum.)

However, there are a number of private boards that already exist for LEO's and others. One which comes to mind is the Cooper followers' API List, for which many Members here are not eligible. Lot's of good talent over there. If they asked me to move them onto a private Forum here, I'd be hard pressed to say "no"....especially if they were coming into our main forum page to get there.

Finally, please recognize that we are extraordinarily conservative in our approach to new Forums. There must be a clear need and the perception of a clear benefit to our mission.
Off my soapbox.
Best Regards to all.
Rich Lucibella

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries