View Single Post
Old July 13, 2006, 05:32 PM   #14
azredhawk44

I load .308 for an M1A (similar action to the mini-14).

I was told be several sources both here and personal acquaintances that I was free to crimp if I wanted to, but it would reduce accuracy at longer ranges. As long as I kept my OAL comfortably between the listed load's min and max OAL and kept the bullet seated as closely forward to the lans as possible, I would achieve peak accuracy by not doing anything to compromise the bullet's jacket as it travels from the case to the rifling.

So I don't crimp. I've shot about 1000 handloads through my rifle so far. I'm still learning to shoot for peak accuracy, but I am seeing about 2MOA groups in 5 shots with iron sights. My Hornady 168gr HPBT match bullets have no cannelure, IIRC. My practice Remington 165gr SP bulllets do have one, but I don't use it.

It sounds, edward, that a conservative crimp would serve you well and is certainly not going to impede blasting or plinking... The question here is whether a crimp is beneficial or detrimental to peak accuracy and smallest groups. My shooting skills are not yet at a point where I can go out one day and prove or disprove this from a bench... I will get 1.8" groups one way and 1.7" groups the other, probably.

Bucky, it that gun set up with a scope of some sort, or iron sights?

Page generated in 0.02729 seconds with 8 queries