View Single Post
Old September 19, 2006, 07:57 AM   #32
dfaugh

Quote:
A .22LR bullet can go 1.5 miles. I'd say if a .223 isn't safe, neither is a .22LR. In fact, a .223 would probably be safer than a .22LR if you use a light fast varmint load since the bullet will tend to break up rather than ricochet.
Yes and no....I understand what you're saying, but if I could show you the situation, you'd see the problem. If they're in the back of the yard, I've shooting at a downward angle, into the ground(maybe 15 degrees), from my enclosed porch... And lots of trees between me and the thruway, shih would stop any possible ricoches pretty well, and the bullet wouldv'e lost alot of energy at that point. Not sure I'd gamble that one witha .223. (which I don't have anyway, currently all my rifles are .30 and up)

Additionally, if I start touching off Centerfire rifle, would DEFINITELY get a negative reaction from the neighbors (like a nice visit from the cops, which I really don't need). As far as .22 ammo, I've got this "tuned" to Wolf Match Target, and can hit a quarter about 9 times out of 10 or better (at 100 yards), and the 10th will be real close. Shooting off my enclosed back porch, they're loud, to me, but I doubt the neighbors can hardly hear them.

Quote:
Eventually more crows showed up they went up and shot one. No more crows. Given time, the crows came back again but as soon as the three of them started up to the shed with the rifle, the crows flew off. Smart. When the crows came back. They walked up to the shed without the rifle. Crows stuck around. "Hmmm", they thought, "The crows know what a rifle is now"
Yes, this is my experience also....you can trek through the woods without a gun, and they'll let you get fairly close, but if they see a gun, they're not gonna let you get close. This is one of the problems I'm having. And I'm not looking to shoot every Crow in the area, as I know they'll stay away once I "bust" enough of them, just want them to stay away.

P.S. for those who suggested fireworks, they are illegal here, and, other than 4th of July will DEFINITELY get you avisit from the local police.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."

Page generated in 0.04252 seconds with 8 queries