View Single Post
Old November 8, 2011, 12:32 AM   #205
globemaster3

Today was the last day in deer camp for my 15 yo and I. I planned to do more typing from the condo blind we used today, but things quickly changed after we got a late start from the cabin.

Instead of a leisurely pace, once we parked the truck we quickly moved in. Legal shooting light was 0630, and it was 0610 when we left the truck. Once we got to the condo, we set everything up with the rangefinder, binoculars, and the rifles all within easy reach. Btw, I've never hunted from one of these before. Goodness! All you'd need is a micro fridge and TV to have the perfect hunting spot!

Anyway, at 0625, we get a large group of does moving into the area. Since we both took our cull bucks, we only needed 1 more doe apiece to tag out. I picked a large, mature doe and rested the DPMS on the windowsill and waited until 0630. Once kiddo called time, I took a 90 yard shot right behind the shoulder. At the shot she ran with her head down 20 yards and piled up. Postmortem showed I turned her heart into hamburger.

Since I was done, it was kiddo's turn. Within 10 minutes the herd came back out from hiding. She initially picked a doe at 100 yards, but one broke from the pack and walked right in front of the stand at 50 yards. She room the shot and the deer fell immediately. Impact was behind the facing shoulder and it exited through the offside shoulder.

Done! And it was only 0650! We took them back to camp for cleaning and began packing for the trip home.

We did run into town for dinner last night, but alas, no wifi. When we get home I will work on posting pics.

Last edited by globemaster3; November 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.02428 seconds with 8 queries