View Single Post
Old October 4, 2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl
For $17 more I can get the same kit with the Auto Prime XL feature. Is that advisable just starting out? I have seen hand primers and they seem to work just fine for low production.
Some people believe the hand priming tool gives them more "feel" for the primer getting properly seated (which is important for correct ignition, as the primer's anvil must be "set" into the priming compound for optimal sensitivity).

Other people find their hands get really tired after seating a bunch. (Probably using it wrong or not lubricating it properly, which will shorten the tool's life, too.)

Another set of people believe the seating arm on the press gives plenty of leverage and still a good feel for seating depth just as it is. (Count me among those.) Even on a single stage, this is a little faster and more convenient than the hand primer unless you want to do your priming away from the bench, which some do.

If you do use the on-press priming arm, do use the Lee Safety Prime dispenser. It keeps finger oils from contaminating the primers (they are sealed, but sometimes you can kill a primer with skin oils, though rarely). The little dispenser device's position on the press is critical, but once in line with the primer arm's cup it works admirably well and you can clearly see the primer is right-side up BEFORE seating it.

Take your choice. To my mind it is largely a personal preference and not all that critical to producing good ammunition which you choose.

As far as "getting a bench" is concerned, I would (actually I did) start out with a 2x6 or 2x8 board about 30" long and clamp it to any stable surface. Drill holes in it and mount the press on the board. Then you can simply "C" clamp the board to the stable surface any time you want to load until you decide what kind of loading bench and layout you finally want.

Good Luck

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 8 queries