View Single Post
Old October 26, 2012, 07:59 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
This was without a doubt my biggest surprise purchase this year. Manually driven, not self loading, but it is collapsible. Overall a satisfactory purchase.
Big spender!
That's the 'upgraded' model with front and rear suspension.

--

I can't remember if I bought this Handi-Rifle in late 2011 (Nov/Dec), or early 2012; but the thing that surprised me was how much I came to like .444 Marlin.
It really is a bastard of a cartridge. ...almost zero commercial support. Very few bullets that can handle the velocity. Brass is generally about $1 a case (cheaper right now - Remington over estimated demand with their last run). And, it has severe COAL (cartridge-over-all-length) limitations.

But, it seems to be the answer to a question I never asked.

The rifle, itself, isn't bad, and it's very nice to pack around (6 lbs 6 oz).
But, H&R/NEF/Marlin quality just isn't what it used to be. Once production went to Ilion... fit, finish, and overall quality took a nosedive.

In the photo above, the finish on the stock may look a little odd. That's because about 50% of it rubbed off when the rifle and I got caught out in a snow storm. The other side of the rifle has about 15% of the finish rubbed completely off, the rest almost rubbed off, and the grain has opened up from getting wet. Any other rifle I have ever owned wouldn't have showed the slightest hint of being caught in that snow storm; but this one will require a stock refinish, because of it.

Page generated in 0.03729 seconds with 8 queries