View Single Post
Old April 10, 2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Kimio

I own a Stag Model 4 and 90% of what I shoot out of her is steel cased Wolf .223 ammunition. I have not had a single hiccup while using Wolf.

From my experience this is what you should know when you use steel cased ammunition.

For one, steel tends to foul more due to the steel not expanding as much within the chamber, therefore they don't seal it as well as brass does upon firing. Variations in tolerances and manufacturing don't make it the most consistent ammo either in terms of accuracy.

Some folks are stuck on the whole idea that because steel cased ammunition is laqured, that when it heats up it tends to gum up your rifle. Out of the thousands of rounds I've fired, I've never had any issues with FTE or FTF, the laqure used on the casings is very durable, and you likely will only get it off by means of a blow torch.

The problems with FTE or FTF occurs when you switch back to shooting brass after shooting steel. Due to the increased fouling, this sometimes causes the brass casings to stick in the chamber, causing a malfunction. It has nothing to do with the laqure finish that coats the shells. Some state that the steel cased rounds are really hard on the extractor of the rifle, personally, I've not seen any increased wear on my AR' extractor after several thousand rounds run through it.

If you reload, steel of course cannot be reloaded, but it's affordability I think helps offset this.

Other rifles are very tempermental when it comes to steel cased ammunition, and YMMV depending on what make your rifle is. For me, my Stag loves the stuff, it's not the most accurate ammunition by any stretch of the means, but for basic target practice and plinking, it's an affordable alternative.

Hope this helped.

Page generated in 0.03640 seconds with 8 queries