View Single Post
Old July 15, 2011, 02:41 AM   #25
TheKlawMan

Pointing is Aiming but not Sighting

Count, You said that,

Quote:
Normal shot through a smoothbore would give roughly a 5" pattern at 5 yards. The Wolf through rifled opens up to 18"

So firing Wolf at 6 feet should create a 7.2" pattern, 10.8" pattern at 9 feet.

That's pretty darn close to the so called myth that you don't have to aim.
I have also had trouble with "the so called myth", but I wonder if it is no myth at all but a matter of the misuse of language. For example, I pulled up some random definition of "to aim".

Quote:
To direct (a weapon) toward an intended target.
Quote:
The pointing of a weapon, as a gun, a dart, or an arrow, in the line of direction with the object intended to be struck; the line of fire; the direction of anything, as a spear, a blow, a discourse, a remark, towards a particular point or object, with a view to strike or affect it.
I have always been a bit confused when accomplished shot gunners say you do not aim but point the gun at the bird or clay target, not to here consider shooting slugs, and I think I would agree with you that according to the commonly understood meaning of "aiming" a shotgun is aimed when it is "pointed". I probably have this all wrong and will get my come upance from our friends, but I suspect that when shot gunners say they point and do not aim they mean they do not sight down the barrel.

If I understand what I am supposed to be doing, I am working to develop muscle memory so that my guns barrel is directed at where I am looking and I am looking at the target without reference to the sight or sights. In fact, looking at the barrel or the sight nearly guarantees a miss.

In short, it comes down to semantics. In general parlance a shotgun is aimed in that it is directed, but in the jargon of clay shooters it is not aimed, since to aim means to use sights.

You are indeed correct that a shotgun has to be directed towards the target, but that is not the same as aiming with the use of sights.

I think I have to much time on my hands.

Page generated in 0.03848 seconds with 9 queries