View Single Post
Old December 13, 2007, 11:53 AM   #11
saands

I have given more thought to the question of "single-stage vs progressive" for a first tool. I have a friend that has flown fighters in the Navy and 747's commercially. He say, and I believe him, that anyone that can fly a Cessna can -- in 99% of all cases of weather, terrain, mechanical condition, -- fly a 747 or an F18. It's the one percent that gets you! There can't be any argument that more is happening simultaneously on a progressive than on a single stage press -- It's a higher performance tool. My recommendation is still to do one operation at a time, and in batches, like the reloading manuals recommend ... checking the output from one operation for uniformity of results (e.g. using a flashlight to check the level of powder in the cases lined up in a reloading tray) before going onto the next operation. It's amazing how perceptive you will become about the force required to resize, the sound of the primer popping out, the force to reprime, the look of the level of the powder, etc. This perception will be a lot harder (if not impossible) to develop if you are doing all the steps with a single pull of the handle. Furthermore, on a progressive, one of the things that you give up for speed is the ability to look at the uniformity of the results of an individual operation.

Just my thoughts ... and worth almost every penny you paid for them

Saands

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries