View Single Post
Old July 7, 2013, 08:31 PM   #16
SVTCobra306

I've had mixed success with XTP bullets on large-bodied Midwestern deer. At 40-50 yards it seems the 158 grain XTP factory loads lose enough velocity that they no longer expand. They might do better with a 140 or 125 grain as far as expansion goes, and shot placement is critical.

I shot my buck last year with a model 66 6", using Remington Golden Saber 125 gr ammo. I want to say I saw somewhere that the Golden Saber bullet is a Gold Dot.. but I'm not 100 percent sure of that. I hit the buck a little low at about 40 yards, it destroyed his shoulder and double-lunged him, he ran about a half mile before he fell.

I saw some surprising successes with 125 grain semi-jacketed hollow points in .38 +P from my Uncle's Security Six.. he hadn't cleaned his revolver after shooting a lot of .38 spl's and couldn't chamber .357 rounds, so I gave him some of my "plinking" ammo.. happened to be Winchester in the SJHP. He knocked a doe flat in her tracks with one.. I was very surprised. They expand very nicely. I am planning to load some 158 grain versions of the same design from Montana Gold, and see how they perform. I may also put together some 125 grain versions in full house .357 Magnum loads instead of the .38+P and see how they perform. I like an extra velocity push for the rather jumpy deer around here.

If I'm not satisfied, I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a .41 magnum anyway... many of our guys like .44's, but they tend to destroy more meat than I like to.

Page generated in 0.03467 seconds with 8 queries