View Single Post
Old March 25, 2013, 02:34 PM   #7
mikld

I reloaded for 12 years, or so, before I got a tumbler. I got one of the small ones from Harbor Freight and some Lizzard Litter from Petco. Until that time I would only wipe each case with a rag slightly dampened with mineral spirits to get rid of any grit, dirt, or grease. My dies didn't wear out any quicker and I could spot defects while inspecting. But I do have one now that I use for brass and cleaning rust/gunk from tools. For me it's 100% cosmetic. (I remember I could spot the reloaders at the range by their dull brass. They usually shot a lot and collected their brass when done). But today, many reloaders are going for new looking brass (for their personal satisfaction ) and consider tumbling a "must".

Your method will clean your brass, removing any soot, grease, etc. but won't leave them shiny, as some type of polishing, tumbling, or vibrating is needed for that. Unless you use a polish with ammonia you brass is ok.

FWIW; I believe the only "need" for virgin looking brass is when shooting around gravel, dirt, or grass with my 1911, shiny brass is easier to find...

Page generated in 0.03314 seconds with 8 queries