View Single Post
Old December 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #15
oldpapps

I've only skimmed the responses, but I did look at the photos. So, I may repeat what has been said, sorry.

The brass looks to be military stuff, most likely shot in some type of full automatic machine gun, long loose chamber for reliable feeding and funtion. The ding is from the ejection and is not a problem (as seen in the photo).

I would start by tumbling the brass till it shines. This will clean any and all grit off. Inspect each case completely. This is when I would run a paper clip down inside to check the web. Any grittiness at the web and they are scrap brass.

Next up is to deprime. I have a Lee depriming die now. I have used a rod type tool to drive the crimped in primers out. Watch for the walls of the cup remaining in the brass. Now take care of the crimp ring. Lots of ways to do it. Lots of brass, use a tool. Few, use a knife to cut/scrape the ring away. Many tools and makers out there.

Moving on. LUBE! I use that nasty old grease stuff. It works great. Do a 'full case re-sizing'. Take your time and this is better done on a sturdy single stage press (over a progressive - you need lots of ram pressure). During this process, I have found that a hard scale of powder residue sometimes cracks on the inside of the brass. I now clean the sized brass. I use a mix of Dawn soap and water in a tumbler of steel pins. After tumbling for a day (I often forget the tumbler is running), a good flush with clean water. I dry brass on an old towel (to pick them up with) places on cookie sheets. Places in a pre heated over at 200 or 250 degrees. Put the brass/cookie sheets in, turn off the heat. When the oven is cool, the brass is dry.

Now check/trim for proper length. After cleaning up the trimmed mouths, the brass is done. If you wish to anneal the brass, do so.

I like military brass. After being possessed this way the first time, treat it like all other brass. Sort by head types and load

Enjoy and be safe,

OSOK

Page generated in 0.02980 seconds with 8 queries