View Single Post
Old January 26, 2010, 04:26 AM   #7
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Sorry, looks like I didn't word the question very well, I didn't get the type answers I was looking for. Let me try a different approach.

First off…“WARNING … THIS CHART IS ONLY AN ILLISTRATION“
“DO NOT LOAD FROM THIS CHART”

In the two books I have (don’t have my books in front of me) I found something like this…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start Max.

25.9 gr. 3,251 fps --------- 27.2 gr. * 3,605 fps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* = compressed load

They don't list the starting load as compressed, only the Max load as compressed in both my books.

My main question…Do the other publications out there also list it this way?

Its my thinking that they would prefer to warn us at the start of the scale rather than at the end.

I understand that compression could fall anywhere between depending on my seating depth etc, and that its my responsibility to read and understand the complete chart before loading.

It just seems to me for liability reasons, they would prefer to warn you of possible compression at the beginning, or better yet at both ends.

Reason I ask, if I am overlooking something here, then I would like to know what it is before I continue.

My powder Choice…
I had about three reasons for selecting the Varget over other powders. Being my first attempt at loading rifle (only having pistol powders), I scanned the charts to see what powder would be the most universal for use in as many of my center fires as possible. Varget was listed on most every .223 load and ranked quite well for some loads. Varget like most powders is (or was at that time) in short supply. Varget had the shortest estimated backorder time of all my choices. Had same problem with bullet selection, had to take what bullets I could find at the time.

I have yet to test fire my first loads (shooting S&W AR-15) so can’t comment on performance yet.

The only complaint I would have at this point is that the Varget was difficult to run thru my Lyman powder measure, the sticks tend to wedge and takes extra force to cut and crank them out. Whenever I had a difficult crank, it would weigh about .3 gr. more than desired so had to dump a few and recharge. Once I work up the load I want, I will probably have all the parts to switch to my Dillon and hopefully won’t have that charging problem.

Thanks for all the great advise.

Page generated in 0.03862 seconds with 8 queries