View Single Post
Old December 26, 2012, 06:35 PM   #1
roguetwelve12

WWII Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun

Hi everybody,

My most sincere thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I've recently come into posession of a very nice WWII Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun. I haven't the capacity to put pictures on at this point in time, unfortunately. I will be the first to say that I have always been a rifle and handgun guy, and am only now getting into military shotguns, so I know VERY little about these (and inherited this one).

First, some information about the gun:

SN: 953xxx. Barrel is marked with the "42" indicating a 1942 manufacture. Left side of the frame is marked with a "U.S." and the flaming ordinance stamp. Top of the barrel also has the flaming ordinance and the Winchester "WP"-overlaid-inside-circle proof (Winchester proof also located on top of the receiver). Right side of the barrel has the Winchester patents. Left side of the barrel has “Del 97-[Winchester Logo]- 12 GA.”- “2 ¾ CHAM CYL”. The serial number is located on the bottom of the gun [E over SN design] located jost forward of the loading mechanism. The serial number is again located about 2 centimeters further "forward" on the gun (with no E in this case). The stock Cartouche is the G.H.D.-inside-square variety, located over a cartouche of crossed cannons.

The heat-shield and bayonet lug is of the 4 hole design. 18 groove handrest. There's about 95% original bluing remaining (take this with a grain of salt... I'm better at rifle and pistol analysis! The buttplate is solid metal that is quite aged.

Just a few questions.

1) Does anything sound out of place (I know this is without any pictures, so I apologize).

2) Does this heat shield/bayonet lug sound approrpiate for this time range? I've been trying to figure this out and keep going in circles.

3) Is the buttplate right? I've heard/seen pictures of Winchester-Logo buttplates but I was unsure as to whether or not that was all Winchester trenchies, Just WWI trenchies, etc.

4) I've read about a few of the examples of Winchester '97's where the heat-shield/bayonet lug had a "W" stamped on them. I cannot SEE a W in this example, but I'm not sure A) if all of the Winchester's had this or B) if I'm even looking in the right place (AKA, where is this stamp located).

5) Is this stock cartouche appropriate?

As you can see I'm not terribly well versed in military shotguns so I appreciate all of your patience, and any help that you all might be able to give. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions to help.

-r12

Page generated in 0.03646 seconds with 8 queries