View Single Post
Old August 15, 1999, 11:20 AM   #5
Robert Foote

Some things in your post strike me as red flags--'big game hunting at 4-500 yds maximum? Considering all the variables, who among us ought to be taking shots like that? I do a fair amount of long range high-power shooting and I would NOT take shots beyond 250-300 yds unless I was starving in the Brooks Range. Try it from field positions and field conditions and you'll agree. Variable scopes? A fixed power scope gets the job done just fine and is more durable and precise in graduations. Source of good scopes? Look for a good (used?) steel tube Weaver in a useful magnification--4 or 6 power depending on what you propose to do. They are fine scopes and will do all you need to do at a very reasonable price. If there are any Civilian Marksmanship Clinics sponsored by rifle clubs in your area I would suggest you attend one--the cost is reasonable and you'll learn more than you ever thought possible about what rifles (and their operators) will and won't do on demand. It's not quite as cut and dried as it sounds in the gun magazines!

------------------

Page generated in 0.02826 seconds with 8 queries