View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011, 09:38 PM   #10
AnasaziDan

To Swage or not to Swage

Sarge,

I've been reviewing all the outstanding advice received regarding my questions. Regarding your question about what I've been doing for chamfer. For the first batch of cases that I've processed I used a chamfer cutter. Your asking that question caused me to read about the Lee Expander Die (that also serves to deliver the powder charge). It appears that the die allows less handling and time as well as doesn't use up the brass on the rim.

I've been led to believe that the crimp on the primer in military 45 brass will not allow or make difficult priming and perhaps ignite the primer. I have a primer pocket cutter, but thought that swaging left brass in place and would be less likely to permit a primer falling out. I've primed my first batch with the Lee Auto-Prime, but maybe I should just let the LoadMaster do my priming. That will be faster and if military 45 brass primer pockets do not require swaging or cutting in order to be set, I'll get to spend more time on the range.

Quote:
Don't swage primer pockets either and I've used a fair amount of GI brass... that 'chamfer' thing... are you using a conventional expander die or a chamfer cutter? The former is important and the latter is wholly out of place on service pistol rounds.
As long as I have folk's attention, I have a question about the brass I have. It has been a few years back but during military 45 pistol training I asked the Range Officer if I could police and take the brass. At least one of the weapons on the range that day needed attention from the armorer. It was damaging the brass mouths. I culled these as I recently worked on the brass. The head stamps on these cases say "R A 6 5" and the primer pockets have red dye around the outer perimeter. I've attached an image of these damaged cases. My question - is there any way to salvage these cases by repairing that type of damage? Or do I just toss them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rim_damaged_45_cases.jpg (95.5 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by AnasaziDan; June 1, 2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: add image

Page generated in 0.03905 seconds with 9 queries