View Single Post
Old May 9, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Dragline45

Quote:
That is a concern but I figured people had choices within the 1911 category and have the "carry" options for many of the Sigs and a few others.
Even then those choices are still rather large for my liking. The Sig 229 although smaller than the 226 is still a beefy gun. It's just as thick, only the barrel and grip are slightly shorter. Not something I would carry day in and day out concealed. As far as smaller 1911's, they have never been able to get them to run as reliably as full sized.

Quote:
I want to learn what others would choose given my general restrictions. I'm pretty new to guns but have picked some makes I like - the options are where I need the most help
Since you are in the market for two handguns, the best advice I could give you is to do yourself a favor and get something small and easy to carry, especially since your second handgun will be a full size. Makes no sense to have two full sized handguns when one is intended for daily carry. It's always enticing to want to carry a full sized gun like the ones you listed, but I found out real quick that carrying a full size and going about your normal day to day activities is just way too much of a hassle and you are forced to alter your lifestyle somewhat. You have to dress around your gun day in day out, and I found myself having to remove my holster and lock my gun up in the car more often than not when doing simple things like tossing the ball around at the park with my buddies. Plus you could always carry your full size on days you feel like it, so picking up a mall concealable gun is a win win.

When choosing both guns, make sure you are familiar with the platforms. I would start with trigger type. Realize that out of all the guns you listed the triggers differ vastly, make sure you know what you like before buying one.

- DA/SA (Berettas, Sigs, CZ) - First trigger pull will be a long double action pull similar to a revolver. Essentially what you are doing with a double action trigger is cocking the hammer and dropping it all in one pull, hence the term double action. After the first shot the slide retracts automatically cocking the hammer for all subsequent shots giving you a light crisp single action pull. So say you have a Beretta 92 with 15 rounds, for the first round the trigger pull will be a heavy double action trigger, the next 14 rounds will be a light single action trigger.

- DAO - Every shot will be a long double action pull.

- Striker Fired (Glocks, XD's, M&P's, SR9, etc..)- No hammer, there is a spring loaded striker or firing pin that is basically cocked and set to firing position when the slide is retracted.

- SAO (1911's) - All shots are fired in single action, gun is carried with hammer back and saftey on. If you are not comfortable carrying a gun with the hammer cocked back at all times, even with a saftey, I would stay away from the 1911.

I would personally recommend any of these for carry guns.

For small very easily concealed guns I would look at the Ruger LCP or LC9, Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 or Shield, Smith & Wesson J frame revolvers or Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 or CM9 or P380, Sig 232 or 238...

For slightly larger but easily concealed check out Glock 26 or 27, Smith & Wesson M&P9C or 40C, Springfield XD compact, Ruger SR9C or 40C, Sig 239...

Last edited by Dragline45; May 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.02663 seconds with 8 queries