View Single Post
Old January 18, 2001, 03:33 AM   #14
Jager1

I experimented along the same lines as you are and came up with my own set of powders for 45 ACP. I load 230 grain projectiles only, since all lesser bullet weights demonstrated less accuracy despite many, many vain attempts. Here is what I tested:

231 - Probably the best powder for all-around use. Low charge weights mean less cost. It is a fairly fast burning powder, and velocities above 800 become a concern due to the pressure curve. It has the lowest flash of all the powders I tested. Burns reasonably clean and has become a staple in my limited powder array.

Universal Clays - Don't use it anymore. The accompanying puff of smoke with each discharge may be great if you plan on laying smoke as you shoot and move, but I'd rather rely on my expertise in a crisis rather than concealment. I liked the smell of it for some odd reason, but if I wanted smoke with each firing indicating my position, I'd also invest in a good vest to accomodate the incoming.

A.A. #5 - I like this powder, except for the 'flakes' it leaves behind. It burns damned clean except for them. I tired it to get a bit more velocity than 231 could safely provide, but after a thousand rounds or so, decided to continue my quest.

WST - This powder came to my attention as recommended by Tim at Dillon Precision for a good all around plinking powder. Even lower charge weights than 231, it is a poor mans powder. If you shoot a lot, you deserve to try WST. Clean, economical, meters well and does most of what 231 will do at a slightly lower cost.

Power Pistol - I love this stuff. Higher velocities, clean, and really tightens up groups. Drawback is muzzle flash. I use this in all of my heavy loads and personal carry ammunition for 'day' use. Plan on shooting at night using any of these mentioned powders? Go 231 and suffer the 25-50 fps loss or go blind with Power Pistol. I have separate 231 propelled ammo for low light use. Be CONSERVATIVE with this powder and start LOW. It is a great product, but some of the published data is a bit liberal for my tastes. I started low and got a good scare anyway. Power Pistol will help you get the described velocities with room to spare. Also doubles as a flamethrower at lesser ranges.

Page generated in 0.02405 seconds with 8 queries