View Single Post
Old January 12, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
RC20

I picked up a box of the Penn 120 TCs a while back

I went with the HS6 powder (my brother gave me a can.) HS6 is what the Penn owner recommends.

Results were so so. I loaded to length specified and used the charges suggested.

While he did reply the response tended to be elusive in solid data and reocmendiations.

I was shooting out of a Sig that tends to exact dimension (other guns are listed that have looser bullet and they make slightly larger diameter bullets for the looser ones like glock I believe).

Upshot was that while they are ok for practice, accuracy wise they are not all that good.

I could not get an answer for seating depth vs the HS6 power he like that would allow for the taper crimp (which I never did, just make sure that I did not repeatedly run the same round into the chamber and not shoot it).

When I pressed him he quit responding.

A random checks shows 2 gr variance in weight.

The grease grove is a bit inconsistent in that there are not full great all the way around though none had a complete lack of grease.

The grease grove falls right at the suggested seating depth which means you cannot crimp.

Ergo, to do a crimp seat out further or shorter. Shorter of course you have to check the powder depth so as not to compress the charge as 9mm is extremely sensitive to pressure. Further out you need to do a chamber check to make sure it fits the chamber right and also feeds right.

All in all, not what I expected. I hoped to match the XTP which I also load for accuracy and they were definitely not as accurate.

Disappointed and would not buy again, though the generally quality is good appearance wise and no leading. Barrel cleaned up fine. You want to shoot in the open though that's true of any hard cast with grease (synthetic in this case I believe).

Quote:
tried shooting off a rest yesterday for the first time with my M&P full size 9mm. I was pretty disappointed in the results. I was using hard cast 124 gr bullets with the results. Did a full ladder of W231 in .1 grain increments and was getting 4 to 6 inch groups at 15 yards. Bullets were seated to the chamber at 1.07, taper crimped to .375

I have never really shot a pistol for accuracy before so I was wondering which to try changing, bullet type or powder? There is also a chance it could have been the indian not the arrow becasue I actually did better shooting 2 hand no rest than I did off the rest although that shooting was using the last of my MBC lead bullet instead of the Penns. Not blaming the Penn bullets here just pointing out that I did make a small change there, same weight shape bullet etc

Page generated in 0.02391 seconds with 8 queries