View Single Post
Old June 25, 2008, 02:00 PM   #95
David Armstrong

Quote:
Well then . . . when can we draw what we carry?
Depends on the exact wording of your state law, but as a genereal rule when you REASONABLY feel that you are in imminent danger of loss of life or great bodily harm. The key is "reasonable" (can you convince a jury that they would have done what you did). The other big issue is what constitutes "great bodily harm." Just getting in a fight doesn't count. Getting your nose broke probably doesn't count.
Quote:
I am guessing that you are in law enforcement so you probably have a good idea what you are talking about.
Sort of retired now, but I still teach/train, and I'm a Concealed Handgun Instructor for my state, as well as a few other certs. Plus this is a research area of mine, so I think I'm fairly well read on the subject.
Quote:
However, your are making it sound like we can only draw after we are being beaten down. Is that what you are saying??
No.
Quote:
Please post a variation of my initial scenario that will include a point when you feel drawing your CCW is a valid option.
If BG grabs any sort of weapon, or if he chases you when you attempt to flee. Either of those would change the dynamics significantly, IMO. We move away from the "Well, he might..." scena and closer to the "He did this..." area.
Quote:
Pepper spray gel . . . never heard of it. Looks like really good stuff though.
One of those other certifications I mentioned is that of a pepper spray instructor. IMO the gel is the most restrictive and least useful of the variants. I would recommend a good stream delivery.

Page generated in 0.03325 seconds with 8 queries