View Single Post
Old June 3, 2012, 03:16 PM   #46
grubbylabs

It might not be the patience of setting up and working the press that he has a problem with, it could very well be the same problem I had. Doing all I could with one die then having to re set up and start a whole new process with the next die. It takes a lot of time to produce a 100 rounds.

It sounds like to me that if he can run the equipment that he does on a daily basis and he still has all his digits, he will do just fine on a progressive. As it was stated earlier, he can still use it as a single stage to start and learn with. Even after loading on a single stage for a couple years I still started out that way when I got mine.

The best advise I can give you is to pick a press you think you will be happy with and start slow. Pick one caliber and practice on that one caliber till you have a pretty good idea of what your doing with it, then pick another and figure it out. If you ever get to where you want to produce match grade rifle ammo then yes a single stage will be your friend.

I like a lot of Lee products but I am not sure I would ever buy a progressive press from them. Most of my casting stuff is Lee, and they make quite a few innovative things that are by far the best in the industry, but again I am not sure I would try a progressive from them.

If you are looking to save some coin, be patient and look for a good used progressive from Hornady, RCBS, or Dillon. I don't think you would be unhappy with any one of those three.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Page generated in 0.02492 seconds with 8 queries