View Single Post
Old September 8, 2012, 07:21 AM   #9
SL1

I think you are going to find that H-4895 is too slow, especially for reduced loads with light bullets.

Powders like SR-4759 and Accurate 5744 would probably allow you to make the kinds of reduced loads that you want, especially with light bullets. However, I was not able to find much data for those powders with 110 grain bullets in the .30-30. The most recent Hornady manual (#8) does contain one load for the 110 grain bullets with A-5744. It is 23.2 grains for 1850 fps out of a 10" long pistol barrel. Unfortunately, that seems to be a max load, and the lesser loads are not provided on the table. So, it is not flexible, and working-up from there is not appropriate.

The load data for .30-30 pistols will probably give you some better ideas of what powders work well for lighter bullets. And, manuals like the Hornady will give a table of velocities with the charges of several different powders that can achieve those velocities. That allows you to see what powders provide flexibility in working with a wide range of reduced loads. In the Hornady #8 manual, NO powder goes from the minimum to the maximum velocity in the table for the pistol. Vihtavuori N-130 is the most versatile powder listed, but is not as available as other powders. And, it is not listed with the heavier bullets that you will probably want to use later.

I have not made reduce loads for the .30-30, myself, so I can't give you the benefit of experience. Hopefully, somebody else will add some real expericence with reducel loads in the actual cartridge.

One other thought is accuracy. Without actually developing a load for accuracy, the shooting experience for your son could become frustrating. Many reduced loads don't shoot well, although some shoot great in some guns. For that reason, I would urge you to find a propellant that is flexible enough to do some load development with your chosen light bullet. If that works out well, producing a load that is both comfortable and accurate in YOUR gun, it would be a great introduction to handloading as well as to shooting.

SL1

Page generated in 0.05243 seconds with 8 queries