View Single Post
Old July 16, 2002, 02:54 PM   #9
Skorzeny

Najdorf:
Quote:
I wasn't around 50 plus years ago to watch people fighting Helio, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 200+ lb people "throwing around" someone who weighed 130 lbs where both had equal or close to equal skill.
Nope. The weight difference was pretty minimal contrary to the claims of those who worship the Gracies. Besides, don't some of the Gracies claim "weight don't matter, it's the technique, the technique..." I have seen most of the match on video and Kimura literally and actually throws Helio Gracie around like a kid (and Kimura wasn't even "the best" Judoka from Japan at the time). Then he proceeds to pin Gracie and break his arm.
Quote:
Of course the basic locks and chokes remain, but in my experience, the techniques seem to be continually evolving.
To the extent that exotic counters to yet more exotic techniques (geared exclusively for BJJ competitions) come out, that may be true. But the vast majority of BJJ techniques (or all the techniques that are commonly taught at different BJJ schools) are all from Kodokan Judo. So says Joe Moreira who is a pretty big figure in BJJ, who also happened to have studied Judo in Japan. So says Michael Jen, one of a handful of American BJJ black belts (who also happen to train in Judo, BTW).

Don Gwinn:

Oh, I noted the irony. It's just that there is so much muck and false information about the whole Helio vs. Kimura thing that I felt compelled to chime in.

Skorzeny

Page generated in 0.02900 seconds with 8 queries