View Single Post
Old November 25, 2008, 04:16 AM   #21
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I don't think there is such a thing as the "spirit" of the militia. I think the militia was once a way to insure community security in a time where there was no large standing army, National guard or professional police force or immature democratic institutions. It no longer is in existence in any meaningful way.
Despite all the contextual changes that we've had in our society for the past 200 or so years, I'm not sure that human nature has changed all that much. It seems to me that the founders had a fairly good understanding of human nature by including this amendment.

I read somewhere once that one of the most powerful ways to inspire and motivate someone to do good, is to trust them. I cannot help but think that the second amendment has served that idea. It seems the less we trust folks, the less trustworthy they become; it's not always the other way around.

Rather than pronouncing the militia extinct due to contextual changes in society, I would like to see us striving to find and embrace ways in which this amendment, including it's militia clause still fits and benefits us by contributing to our security, safety, liberty, honor, and dignity.

I thank tennessee gentleman, antipitas and others for their thoughtful and insightful responses.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; November 25, 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.02958 seconds with 8 queries