View Single Post
Old February 21, 2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
Another way to look at it is that if it's unconstitutional to infringe on the right to keep and bear arms, then holding an elected official - that has sworn to uphold those rights - accountable for breaking that public trust is the right thing to do.
Well, it may seem that way, but legislators have First Amendment rights, too. What's more is that their actions in legislating are "political speech," which is given the highest possible protection under A1 law. So the legislator's action in proposing this law is protected, but seeks to limit other protected activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
What sanctions are placed on private citizens when they violate someone's constitutional rights?
We're held accountable for that - why shouldn't a person in an elected office be held just as - if not more so - accountable for their actions?
Private citizens, acting in their private capacities & not under color of law, do not violate constitutional rights. Their actions may be illegal on other grounds, but they're not unconstitutional. I put together a primer on federal constitutional law which is stickied at the top of L&CR.

Page generated in 0.02982 seconds with 8 queries