View Single Post
Old February 12, 2012, 01:27 PM   #20
F. Guffey

It is assumed this case is a Remington (R-P) 223 Remington case??? I do not know, I have had cases that looked like they had splits down? the side, some I paid $4.70 dollars for a bandolier of 70 rounds on stripper clips. And I wondered, so I pulled the bullets and found powder that had caked to the side of ‘some’ a ‘few’ of the case, then I wondered it the caked powder had the effect of a shaped charge. Then I formed 400 30/06 cases to 8mm57 in an effort to get away from the corrosive primers then used the powder and bullets from the Turkish pull down ammo, reduce the powder charge 4 grains and die not have a reoccurrence of the split cases.

Then I wondered, the Turkish ammo ran across the chronograph at 2,900+ fps, then I wondered about the powder, just how fast did this stuff burn and again I wondered about the case, the cases were manufactured after 38 and before 41, and I wondered about how fast the case could expand ‘AND’ how far the case was capable of expanding/stretching, then I wondered how small in diameter was the case and how large the chamber was in diameter, stretching to fill the chamber was not a problem for my formed cases, then I wondered about the annealing, the Turks could have made a few short cuts, the Berdan primed cases could have been one annealing process of short of being ready to fire.

Anyhow, I have an 30cal ammo full of Turkish pulled down cases complete with Berdan primers, they look good, inside and out, I have no interests in determining the part the cases played in the failures, formed 8mm57 cases from 30/06 cases eliminated the problem. Except for cases formed from old ragged out 30/06 cases, the old ragged out cases can not expand fast enough to fill the chamber before splitting.....the necks.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02859 seconds with 8 queries