View Single Post
Old January 4, 2014, 12:54 AM   #8
Tangentabacus

So far: I have concluded that the G3 "Phantom" or Gunslinger 2 Eberlestock pack is probably what I should be looking at. I am concerned about 2 items though. First: their website makes it seem somewhat compact when empty, but the demo pictures I see online make the packs look HUGE. Any thoughts on this?

Also... Does anyone carry these packs with chest rigs or plate carriers in kind of a BOB configuration? Though I'll probably never use it in that configuration I'm curious the solutions people have come up with. Most of the time I forsee my 590A1 in the scabbard on my back and a pouch of 20 Brenneke Black Magic slugs on a molle pouch up front. A sleeping bag stuffed into the bottom of the bag, my overnight tent, a few clothes, some food, and plenty of room left over for a camera, a small trauma kit, and maybe some climbing gear. I am really liking the fact that you can get these bags in unicam. That side pocket would be perfect for my 3 piece fly rod or camera tripod.

Alternately I really like the front opening 5.11 bags but don't like that they seem to be more aimed towards the mall ninja (or light duty) vs a practical application such as hiking, camping, etc. That is the reasoning behind the G3 bag instead of going with the other gun slingers, though I am very tempted by the gun slinger 2 but don't like that you cannot open the front of the pack. I expect full access to the bottom of a pack when I am participating in mountain SAR's instead of having to dig through a pack when I need something quickly.

While both one of its coolest and most concerning features the back scabbard on these bags concerns me about the forces your weapon could take under a slip, trip, fall, or climbing down steep rocky terrain as the barrel protrudes below your waist line. I am curious if you can raise the gun up in the pack anticipating these situations. I am also concerned about the comfort of the "shooters" harness instead of normal padded straps.

Thank you very much to those who recommended Eberlestock bags. I have never seen or heard of this brand and -REALLY- like the idea that I'm supporting a homegrown US business. Now just to decide which of the two is a better choice for me.

Page generated in 0.02550 seconds with 8 queries