View Single Post
Old June 16, 2010, 06:08 PM   #21
BlueTrain

My reference here on the notes above is TM9-2200, Small Arms Materiel and Associated Equipment, dated October 1956, also published as TO 11W3-1-5 as a US Air Force Technical Order.

There is only the one revolver model in .38 S&W listed, as I suspected. But like I say, that doesn't mean it was ever actually used in US service. There are several other revolver models listed, all S&W and Colt models and all in .38 Special. Interestingly, the new M13 (the military model number) lightweight revolver, which I didn't know both Colt and S&W produced, has performance figures for 130 grain ball ammo. All the others list 158 grain bullets. Equally curious, they list tracer ammo, too, which I didn't know existed.

Other interesting items in the manual are survival rifles, something not mentioned very often around here. There were no .45 revolvers and no 1928 Thompsons.

But returning to the original question, the 1962 Gun Digest, my only original reference for that time frame, lists the Colt Police Positive Special, the Detective Special and the Cobra as all available in .32 New Police, .38 New Police and .38 Special. But that doesn't mean you could necessarily find one in any caliber you wanted just anywhere, same as some of the small frame S&W revolvers. But they all turn up now and then, invariably in excellent condition with the box. How about a Colt in .256 Magnum? Seen one of them lately?
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02805 seconds with 8 queries