View Single Post
Old February 21, 2009, 06:24 PM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

"You also claim that armed students or professors could have stopped the attack. Are you suggesting that we need to walk around carrying a gun 24 hours a day? Having a gun doesn't guarantee survival."

Ultimately, who is responsible for your safety?

You. No one else.

No, having a gun doesn't guarantee survival any more than having hospital coverage insurance will guarantee you competent care.

But it is, however, a step in the positive direction.

Every year there are thousands of instances where lawfully armed civilians defend themselves or others with a gun.

When I was with American Rifleman magazine I edited a column called "The Armed Citizen" that encapsulated accounts of such incidents from newspapers across the country.

Ultimately, I'm not exactly sure what your entire point of "reasoning" is here.

You're falling painfully close to the old gun banner's saw of "IF IT ONLY SAVES ONE LIFE IT'S WORTH IT!"

It can be equally shown that stripping the guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens can end up resulting in the deaths of those citizens at the hands of criminals, deaths that may well have been prevented had they had access to a gun.

Gun banners love to present their arguments wreathed in mental pictures of a world without guns becoming an instant utopian society, where crime and murder and robbery, etc., are things of the past because we've done away with those evil-inducing guns. It was all their fault anyways."

Page generated in 0.03132 seconds with 8 queries