View Single Post
Old November 10, 2005, 09:58 PM   #28
AJ Peacock

Awesome accuracy is a 'nice to have'.

A 1/2 MOA rifle enables expert marksmen to take/make shots that would be questionable with less accurate rifles. Most posters have made this case for longer (300yd+) shots. However, I think it can be important in other cases. I'll give a couple examples.

I'm sitting on a brushy/wooded hillside watching the opposite hillside (200yds or so), when I see movement on my side of the hill about 100 yards through the trees/brush. With my Bino's, I see that its a deer walking up the hill. I raise my rifle and can just see it silouhetting up the hillside. Watching ahead of the deer, I see a small opening and as the deer goes through the opening, I see its a nice little 4x4 whitetail. I decide that the next opening I'm going to shoot. I pick an opening about a foot wide and just as the deer gets to the opening, it stops and starts looking around. The only thing I can see other than the horns, is an apple sized opening at the base of the ear. I take a breath, let half out and squeeze.

Without the faith in that rifle (Rem 700/7mm) I wouldn't/couldn't have made that shot. My hunting buddies couldn't believe I made that shot, even though it was only around 100yds.

Second example. Hunting Mule deer, last day of season and my friend Dennis had the only unfilled tag. We walk up on a group of deer and one of them is a nice 26" buck. Unfortunately he is standing directly behind a doe. We can only see his head and about 4 " of his neck. The distance is around 200yds and we have no rest. Dennis is one of the best offhand shooters I've every been around, I whisper to him to take the buck before he runs. Dennis says, "I can't see the vitals". I say "shoot him at the base of the ear". Dennis clicks the safety off and a second later, a bullet from his (Rem 700/7mm) flies between the does ears (3" over her head) and takes the buck at the base of the ear. If I didn't know how Dennis could shoot and that his rifle was capable of 1" groups at 200yds, I wouldn't have had him take the shot.

Neither of these shots was Long, but was only capable with an expert shooter and an extremely accurate rifle.

AJ

Page generated in 0.03627 seconds with 8 queries