View Single Post
Old December 1, 2008, 10:10 AM   #19
Savage99

Matt,

You wrote:

"It is not practical to hunt with the rifle at half cock. Climbing up a bank or over a log in the river, it is likely to slide open and drop your cartridge in the drink. The safety is relatively quite, and when appropriate and safe you could hunt with the rifle on safe. However, when the going is tough, I find I have to unload the rifle completely. Half cock is just not the go with these actions.
If they could lock in that position I would be happier (question for other brand owners...don't remingtons do that? Or at least have a very positive half cock position with the safety engaged). This is a noisy operation. Every sika for 200 m will know about it."

I am not a fan any longer of the Sako design. Long ago I too made the mistake and selected a Sako action for a custom rifle. Now I know better.

The Sako I have (L61) does not have a three position safety. This means that the safety does not lock the bolt closed or is not on safe when you open the bolt on a hot chamber. Neither way is good.

Look close at the new Kimber rifles. I now hunt with Kimber 84m and 8400 Montanas and they have control round feeding also that the Sako does not have! The Kimber has an excellent three position safety that locks the firing pin. The Sako only locks the trigger which is not good.

Best of luck to you.

Page generated in 0.02879 seconds with 8 queries