View Single Post
Old August 26, 2000, 06:54 PM   #16
Watchman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jthuang:
Fred,

Thanks for the concern. It is true, my loads are intentionally on the hot side. Lyman's 47th edition shows max for .38 Special, 125 grain jacketed bullet at 5.0 grains of Win 231. Max for +P is 5.4 grains of Win 231.

Since I carry the Federal 125 grain Nyclad load, I wanted my practice load to be as close as possible. I decided that 4.8 grains (which means 4.9 if you allow for +/- 0.1 grain) would be right under the limit.

I appreciate the responses here. I don't know if I'll be shooting my cases until they split, but it seems like most of the shooters here agree that it's no problem. Extraction was difficult with those split cases and I'd rather not have that difficulty during an IDPA match.

Justin
[/quote]

Ive had brand new factory loads split upon the first firing. As stated, 38 and .357 seems to be the worse,but splits in .45 acp are not uncommon. I got smart one time and bought all my brass nickle plated, I figured it looked good and would be easier to find on the range in the grass.

I also noticed that for some reason nickle plated brass seemed to split alot more often the just regular brass. I talked to a guy that worked at Remington's ammo plant in Lonoke,Ar. at a gunshow and he confirmed that the nickle plated stuff is definatly more brittle than the brass stuff. It seems that the plating restricts the ability of the brass to stretch upon firing. AS a result, I no longer buy nickle plated brass in the quantitys that I used too.

Anyhow, I ve split lots of cases. It's no big deal ,sometimes you can tell that they sound a bit different than the rest and sometimes it'll affect the accuracy. Ive had more than one decent group ruined by a flyer due to split brass.

Hope this helps

Page generated in 0.02116 seconds with 8 queries