View Single Post
Old February 25, 2010, 01:47 AM   #39
LateNightFlight

GunsAreGood; nothing personal... not meaning to go pit bull on anyone. I am in my day-to-day character very much the labrador in terms of good will and friendliness. To clarify, the 3 year old that was killed was not my only pit bull call as a medic. I ultimately accumulated decades of experience with victims of pit bulls dating back to my first clinical rotations through ICU. What’s more, my negative experiences are not limited to my time as a medic. I have met some nice pit bulls, but they were totally forgettable if not down right ugly.

I don't think the comparison to anti-gunners is fair. In fact, I think in communities where pit bulls are allowed, every citizen should be mandated to own some kind of pit killing weapon. 911 will never be as fast as an armed citizen acting to end an attack in progress. If the mother of the boy who was mauled by her pit had a gun nearby, there's at least a chance that child would be alive today. And while I can own a gun, I can’t own a machine gun. I’m allowed to drive a deadly weapon, but I can’t drink and drive. Risk is everywhere, but there are cut off points when the risk is unreasonable. The definition of insanity is allowing a particular breed to fail again, and again, and again.

The mantra is, "Punish the deed, not the breed!" But when is the last time you saw anyone held responsible on par with the punishments applied for gun crime? Where are the pit bull groups when these dogs attack? Which pit bull group has spent the big bucks and lobbied hard to promote harsh owner penalties for these attacks? By contrast, the NRA has always pushed for stronger penalties for gun crimes. There is no comparison between pit bulls and gun rights, much less an amendment assuring anyone the right to own a dangerous breed, or a lion, or a bear. No gun has ever broken out of a safe and gone on a killing spree, is your pit bull locked up in a gun safe?

Speaking of guns and pit bulls, did you know there’s a new blog dedicated to the topic of shooting pit bulls? I kid you not. Step up – be a hero – get blogged about – all you have to do is roll a pit bull! http://shootthat****er.blogspot.com/ (The link won't work because of the language filter. I'm sure you can figure it out.)

With regards to the media, look at all the fuss over Toyota accelerators – network to network, live coverage, politicians grandstanding hour after hour, day after day. Capitol Hill is on fire over some gas pedals and the media blitz is on. But what is the reality? Ten years of Toyota accelerator issues doesn’t amount to what pit bulls do in just one year. I’m sure the media would have reported the three recent killings by dog no matter what breed they were. I get that you don’t like the news, but do you really think there’s some big bad media conspiracy against your dog?

Do yourself a favor and make your next dog an awesome gun dog. Separate yourself from the dog fighters, druggies, thugs and assorted low lifes associated with pits. Stand apart from the attention seeking narcissists that feel it is their duty to counter balance the negatives by participating in a bogus mission to set the public straight about this "misunderstood breed." Quit worrying about people rolling their eyes behind your back or wondering if they’re thinking insecurity and inadequacy caused you to get a dog considered menacing. Free yourself and get a lab, a golden, a chessie, or any of our tried and true sweethearts afield! As a gun owner, you'll do the rest of us a favor by making yourself look better.

Page generated in 0.03622 seconds with 8 queries