View Single Post
Old October 19, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
blackwaterstout

First conceal carry pistol. Need some info

I know there are plenty of conceal carry threads but was hoping to get a bit of insight in regards to my situation. A little bit of my background with guns. I've been a long time shotgun and rifle owner as I'm an avid hunter. I only own one handgun which is a CZ-75BD Police 9mm. The gun is perfect for me and I couldn't be happier with it. It's built well, feels great in my hand, and has never misfired. I trust it to protect my family and it's the gun I keep in my nightstand with Hornady Home Defense rounds.

I've recently taken a conceal carry class and submitted the paperwork at my local sheriffs office. Should be legal to carry in 2-3 weeks. I'm looking at getting another handgun that will be a little more practical to carry instead of my CZ. I do have fairly large hands but I'd like something smaller that is easier to conceal. I've read a lot of conceal carry threads and online articles related to favorite CC guns. I know this is highly subjective because everyone has their own allegiances and preferences. But I've kind of picked out 4 guns I'd like some comments on.

Honestly I'm leaning toward another 9mm but maybe even a .380. I'm not worried about big bore guns. I just want something comfortable, reliable, and reasonably priced. I've held all 4 guns I'll list but have never fired any of them. All of these felt good in my hand.

Springfield XD-S in 9mm - This gun really felt good in my hand and considering it's popularity its easy to find holsters and accessories. I did read where there was a recall on some of the older models but I assume and new one I'd purchase would not have the issue related to the recall.
S&W M&P9c in 9mm - This gun also has a good feel to it. Sounds like it's good quality and have read lots of good comments on it.
S&W Bodyguard 380 - Had a pretty good feel to it. Kind of ugly but that really isn't important. The built in laser seems like a nice concept to help keep size down but not convinced it's that great of quality. The .380 is intriguing since it's something I don't don't currently have. I haven't read as much about this gun so I'm curious what everyones experience has been with it. Nicely priced as well so easy on the wallet.
Walther PPK .380 - I played with gun when I stopped at Cabelas and even with big hands it felt quite good in my hand. I have to admit a part of me is fascinated with this gun simply because I've been a James Bond fan my whole life. I know that's a silly reason to choose a handgun but from everything I've read this gun is a great shooter and a very reliable weapon. Would also be nice to have a stainless steel handgun.

Another thought of mine is that my wife way soon be learning to shoot and taking a gun safety course. She's shot my CZ before and it's a little too large in her hands. Any gun I decide on for CC may be used or passed on to my wife if it fits or feels good to her.

So if any of you have experience with some or all of these handguns I'd like your comments on the pros and cons of each gun and ultimately what you'd recommend. Thanks.

Page generated in 0.05065 seconds with 8 queries