View Single Post
Old April 14, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
HiBC

OK,now I understand.
Try this on for thought.(Then do it your way,its your rifle)

The marriage of the forend,the upper receiver and the barrel is accomplished with the barrel nut.Look real close at the YHM and then look at the one you have.Which one looks stronger,more rigid?

That molded groove you refer to is likely where forend setscrews squeeze on the barrel nut ....pretty thin stock at the bottom of that groove,and how many threads in aluminum are in the thin wall of the forend?Are you intending to mout a sight on the forend rail ever?See how this all matters to accuracy?

Not to mention how annoyed you will be with a forend that moves as the setscrews loosen up.

Darn!!Now,on a YHM,a thicker walled section of the forend threads on that long,strong section of threads on that big,rigid nut.When that nut is installed carefully,it is indexed so when you look through the upper and the nut,a BCG view,you will see the features that are the gas tube path are as perfectly centered as your eyes can see.That helps your gas tube and BCG to find each other with no wear.

When indexed true,like that,all those tapered notches will line up for the tapered set screws that lock the forend tube on the nut.Threads are beefy .

There is also a threaded lock ring that jams against the rear of the tube.The YHM system is quite strong and rigid.

You might try looking at their site and looking at the "smooth" tube.See what you think.You already have a nut,call them ,ask what you can do.Their forend complete assy's are $130 or 140,or less than half the price of a lot of them.

I use YHM,and I'm happy.

Page generated in 0.03374 seconds with 8 queries