View Single Post
Old January 25, 2011, 11:41 PM   #6
airfoil

Quote:
Advise: Just get the CHL for the state you live in, even if "technically" legal, it can be confusing to patrol officers who don't have every law memorized (cause there are kind of a lot)
I disagree. For starters, it's perfectly legal to keep a handgun in your vehicle in Texas. So that's not really grounds for a UCW if you have a handgun in your vehicle, preferably out of your reach if you are stopped.

I've been harassed by a couple of small town cops in my time, and from my experience, if they are bored enough, they'll bother you anyway, even if you don't have a gun and don't have a CHL.

In general, if you don't have a lead foot and don't run red lights and/or stop signs, you might get pulled over once every year or two if you even get pulled over at all.

The other issue is that the Texas CHL is a relatively expensive CHL. A Florida CCW is less than half of the total cost (including licensing and training), is valid for three more years, and it has a quicker turnaround compared to Texas. The DPS was moving so slow with CHL applications and renewals that the TSRA got involved with one of the house subcommittees a couple of years ago.

Page generated in 0.02317 seconds with 8 queries