View Single Post
Old February 3, 1999, 05:23 AM   #18
Gattling

I'd allso like to state that set of mind is essential in crisis survival. It really doesn't matter if U got the hottest gun in the world and draw in .50sec if yer "danger sense" is nill and U don't know when to draw or elbow someones jaw and run.

Closest to real fight one can get is simunitions FX ammo that launches those neat paint balls from real guns that hurt too, haven't heard yet that any party would actually compete with such. Might be interesting for those IDPA types to organise "deathmatch" with such, since they so dearly love realism.

TKD and points karate should imho been viewed like the open class, a recreative sport and friendly contest of shared skills.
Modern forms include elements that fullfill the expectations of nowadays practitioners more than more arcane forms.

I don't see much point in such that should the poor TKD dude been reacting like say old timer SE-asian trained fighter and pulled couple of blades facing outnumbering assailants, cut and stapped 'em and ended up in pen for multiple attemps of manslaughter.

For example I don't have any interest, despite practising Myau Thai and Kali, to participate in pre colonialistic era style matches, whereas on mutual agreement competitors glued broken glass to the cloth strips that acted as gloves, in order to make the "tournaments" swifter. Or Kali "patayan" (~"deatmatch") whereas edged sticks were used so that sticks or the hands of the opponents would break faster and match would thus be over faster.

Despite it's potential unrelism sports karate might teach it's practitioners to be hit at and ipsc (any division) it's to shoot
straight and fast, virtues that propably won't hurt in agressive confrontration.

Actually constant practise of about anythang will enhance ones selfdicipline and thus decrease the time that takes to "get grip of oneself" once a fight breaks up.

I think common sense should be practised in endless yarn for "combative realism" and recreational practising of armed fight wether it be with firearms or other weapons.

Thats mah 2cents worth.

Gatt.

Page generated in 0.04113 seconds with 8 queries