View Single Post
Old January 8, 1999, 10:42 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Guderian said, "Weapons affect tactics."

IPSC can give one the shooting skill to survive a nasty encounter like one you described. Indeed, I'll contend that a hypothetical IPSC competitor can outshoot an average LEO or casual plinker for the simple reason that most enthusiastic shooters practice more regularly than most LEOs or casual plinkers.

However, I also humbly submit that "practical" is no longer part of IPSC and since IPSC awards for speed rather than tactics, a shooter may be preconditioning him/herself with tactics which are impractical in a real life gunfight. Double taps are nice, but it may be wiser to put one into each assailant than wait for #3 or #4 to put one into you. I think that happened to a LEO who was an IPSC shooter.

Given the time and choice, I'd rather go with IDPA (if I got that right) which requires normal duty gear and gun over the race gear and gun of IPSC. Mindset is important and it behooves the IPSC shooter (or any other target shooter) to distinguish between the safety of a range environment and actual encounters on the street; and in doing so, select firearms and tactics which are appropriate for unsocial encounters.

Weapons affects tactics and are ammo sensitive high maintenance raceguns appropriate for self defense? I think not.

4v50 Gary

Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Page generated in 0.02288 seconds with 8 queries