View Single Post
Old December 24, 2013, 02:03 PM   #37
totalloser

I can see both sides, personally, but I think a single stage is not a good choice if you plan on doing *any* kind of volume. If you are gonna load for a bolt gun to go shoot a deer, they are fine, but if you are loading for a pistol to shoot cans at the range it's a bad choice and won't grow with your skill.

Even for rifle I'd get a turret as a first press (I'm a big fan of the Lee turret) because it forces you to deal with the processes one at a time curtailing new toy haste to some extent. But you will have a *very* flexible press if you decide to get a progressive in the future.

Ultimately getting a progressive first can be a problem if it's your only press since the progressives don't take shell holders, but shell plates. There will be operations that you will REALLY wish you had a second press rather than monkey around in the works of a dialed in progressive.

If this approach is taken, there is not going to be much regret, because the turret is a LOT faster than a single stage (and has easy repeatable accuracy since the dies stay in the turret) and you will have a tool that goes nicely hand in hand with the progressive if you decide the turret is too slow. And the turret might be fast *enough* for some folks.

FWIW I got a single stage and it for me felt like a horrendous waste of time. Then I got a progressive and discovered that I needed a second press and quickly got tired of fiddling with dies in the single stage and got a Lee Turret which is my favorite press even though I only use it for support operations. This progression of loading press purchases was HIGHLY ineffective for me. But it was a learning experience that hopefully will save someone else some wasted time.

For me it should have been: 1. Turret 2. Progressive 3. Dillon primer swage instead of single stage

Page generated in 0.02926 seconds with 8 queries