View Single Post
Old December 23, 2013, 07:43 PM   #30
Misssissippi Dave

The Dillon 550 is probably the easiest progressive press to learn on. Since the advance is done manually you can easily use it as a single stage press when starting out. You can then proceed to loading one round from start to finish. Once that is working well you can start using it as a progressive press.

Using a single stage or turret press is the normal press most people start loading on. I think if a person is planning to load large amounts of pistol ammo it might be better to start on a 550. At least it would be cheaper in the long run.

The hardest part of starting on a 550 is getting the new reloader to not try to use the press as a progressive until they are fully understanding each step in the process and have learned how best to watch what is going on and taking things slowly.

I think a 550 can be a good starting press for people loading pistol ammo. I base this on many pistol reloaders tend to load a fair amount of ammo. It also can work well for a person that has been reloading for quite some time. It is my opinion, a person planning to load rifle or rifle and low amounts of pistol ammo might be better served with a single stage press or possible a turret. There is not going to be a perfect press that will fit the needs or desires of every new person getting into reloading. This is why there are so many companies and so many different presses available.

Page generated in 0.02260 seconds with 8 queries