View Single Post
Old November 19, 2012, 09:53 AM   #75
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv
I don't think you're understanding the importance of quantifying such things before making absolutist statments.

Quote:
If the .357 Magnum causes only a small increase in hearing damage while also having a great deal more terminal effectiveness, then the extra hearing damage is likely a worthwhile tradeoff.
Quote:
What we do know for certain is that a .357 Magnum is capable of performance that is substantially different than that of common service cartridges like 9mm and .45 ACP.
I read your wall of text Webley and I know the point you were trying to make about hearing, etc. Regardless of that, I have a hard time letting the above slide. You warn against making absolutist statements, then go on to make one.

It is not know for certain that the .357 has more terminal effectiveness than a .45 ACP, or a .40 at all, or if it has more real world effectiveness than 9mm for that matter. In fact, anecdotal police evidence points to the 180 grain .40 S&W being every bit as effective, in fact more so than the old 125 grain .357 in the California Highway Patrol's hands. They used the 125 grain .357 from 1970-1990, they have used the .40 S&W from 1990-till today. Thats along time with a lot of shootings, autopsy and officer reports give the 180 grain .40 S&W higher marks.

Ballistic gelatin penetration test also show that the various .357 loadings don't preform substantially different than other handgun cartridges either.

In fact the only evidence that exists that the .357 is the ne plus ultra of street man stoppers. Is the thirty year old Marshall & Sanow book. Even if we disregard everything and go by their book, they give the 1450 fps 125 grain .357 a 96% OSS rating and the 230 grain JHP .45 Auto a 96% rating.
So no substantial difference there either.

Page generated in 0.02211 seconds with 8 queries