View Single Post
Old June 7, 2010, 05:45 PM   #5
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpadds
Actually shipping it is like anything else, box it up and go to Fedex, declare it as a firearm and ask for overnight service. Include your paperwork etc for the destination FFL in the box.
Just for informational purposes:

1. There is no legal requirement to notify the shipper it is a firearm, IF the firearm is staying in state OR going to a licensed dealer, gunsmith or manufacturer. It is required by the shipping company's company policy, though. Personally, I would go ahead and tell them it's a firearm.

2. It is only the shipping company's policy to send the gun overnight, no legal requirement. So, personally, I would not ask for overnight service, I would let them make that determination.

Here is my personal experience: I was returning a Contender handgun to Thompson Center for repairs. I had the gun all boxed up ready to go. Went to FEDEX/Kinko's (who ARE allowed to ship firearms, because there IS a real FEDEX employee working the shipping counter.) I told the counter guy I had an unloaded firearm to ship to a licensed manufacturer. The guy asked if he could inspect the package, so I said sure. He cut my tape and opened the box, looked at the gun, did not touch it, and sealed the box back up for me.

Then he asked me, "Ground or Air?" Without hesitating I answered, ground! About 5 weeks later I had an excellently repaired TC Contender returned to my doorstep. Then the ex-wife sold it before the divorce was even final, but that's a different story...

Page generated in 0.02411 seconds with 8 queries