View Single Post
Old September 20, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Sometimes you just look STUPID.

About 10 or 12 years ago, I was scouting a pipeline, and found a very well used trail going across. Right next to the run was a huge Oak tree, that had easily climbable limbs up to a huge limb about 20 ft. from the base. It was probably the most perfect tree for a stand I had ever seen.

I opted to look around a little before choosing the tree, and about 200 yards from the trail, I came across another trail with as many tracks across it, as the original trail I had found. I decided to find a tree about 1/2 way between the two trails, so I could maximize my hunting territory, and I decided the next morning, this is where I would sit.

The next morning I got to my tree about 1/2 hour before dawn, and waited for something to come across one of the trails. Just as the dawn broke, a real nice 8 point stepped out in the first trail I had seen, walked almost to the middle of the pipeline and stopped. I eased my rifle to my shoulder and dropped him where he stood. Two kicks on the ground, and it was over.

As I climbed down my tree, and made my way over to the deer, I was thinking how I was going to give the guys at camp a bad time, about how long it took me to tag out.

Just about the time I reached down to look at my deer, I heard a voice from above me say," I was letting that one walk for my son".

Needless to say, I almost wet my pants. This guy was sitting in the tree that I thought would make a really good stand, facing away from where I had been sitting, and the tree trunk completely hid him from my sight. I had NO IDEA that anyone else was anywhere around where I was hunting.

I did not know really what to do, so I apologized to him and explained why I did not see him. I was lucky that this guy had a good sense of humor, as I am sure it looked like I shot the deer right out from under him.

I offered to give him the deer, but he was almost laughing by this time, and after realizing that I was telling the truth, he actually helped me take my deer to the ATV.

Wound up being a pretty nice guy, and his son and he wound up getting a couple of nice bucks before the week-end was over.

I consider myself to be a very considerate hunter, and I never try to do something that would interfere with someone else's hunt, but some times, no matter how hard you try, you still come off looking stupid.

Page generated in 0.02849 seconds with 8 queries