View Single Post
Old March 18, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Southwest Chuck

I am sure. Otherwise, how could hunting be legal? Again, research it. the thread I posted gives the particulars which you might want to take a look at. What the Gov. signed was a ban on Unloaded Open Carry of long guns. The Unloaded open Carry of Hanguns was previously banned.

It is still generally legal to Open Carry (loaded or not) in unincorporated areas where the "discharge of a firearm" is NOT otherwise prohibited by law. In Most BLM, and National Forest Lands, etc. in CA it is legal to discharge a firearm and thus legal to open carry (remember I said MOST). Do your own research for specific locations and confirm any restrictions in those areas.

Also, just a FYI, It is legal to hunt coyotes and jackrabbits with a handgun in CA and the season is year round on those critters. So it is advantageous to get/have a hunting license, although it's not specifically required in most discharge zones (just to open carry). But a CA hunting license also gives you other rights and exemptions to some of the CA gun laws too. Research it. I think you might be surprised. Calguns.net is a good CA resource for more information for you.

From the Calguns Wikki Frank posted above:
".....There is an exception for unloaded antique firearms, and several location-specific exceptions (principally, those places where it it legal to carry loaded also permit carry unloaded)".
These are the area I'm talking about. But why one would chose to carry unloaded in these areas when one could legally carry loaded?

Edit: Wow, the post I was responding to seemed to have "disappeared" while I was typing, lol

Last edited by Southwest Chuck; March 18, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.03312 seconds with 8 queries