View Single Post
Old September 21, 2011, 11:06 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have to be careful when referring to Ruffed Grouse as most commonly call them Partridge around here
....which could, potentially, be very bad. Partridges are absolutely not related to Ruffed Grouse.

It's like we westerners referring to our Sharp-tailed and Ruffed Grouse as "Prairie Chickens" in the wrong company. Since there are, in fact, two species of protected (or "vulnerable") birds with variations of the name "Prairie Chicken", the wrong impression (or even a call to wildlife officers) could be made.

We use "Pine Chicken" and "Prairie Chicken" quite frequently, but it doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Critter nomenclature can be a problem in fishing as well as hunting. The reason a seafood menu has "mahi-mahi" is because so few people know that there is a fish called a dolphin. Not all dolphin are Flipper.

You can get an interesting reaction by pointing at the mahi-mahi on the menu and telling the waitress, "I'll have the dolphin." Deer. Headlights.
You aren't quite as far from seafood as we are, but may be able to relate:
A couple years ago, I saw a fairly decent selection of seafood on the menu of a restaurant in Wyoming. The selection was good enough, and pricing high enough, to make me wonder if they were actually flying in the product (versus the standard 'it's been frozen since 1997, but we're still calling it "fresh"'.). I asked the waitress if they had any mahi-mahi. Her reply: "I don't think we got any ahi, but I think we have some all-white-meat albacore." ...... I ordered the Reuben.

Page generated in 0.02400 seconds with 8 queries