View Single Post
Old September 25, 2005, 11:52 AM   #13
Double Naught Spy

To once again throw out for consideration, according to FBI stats, something like 12-13% of such events where victims and witnesses (those not being robbed, but present) comply fully still result in the bad guy attempting to hurt or hurting those in compliance, sometimes for no apparent reason. In two videos I have seen where this has happened, the robber actually left the store, apparently had an after thought, and in one case returned to the store (just seconds later) and shot and killed one of the store customers (witness) that was still on the ground. In another, the robber returned seconds later and capped off a couple of rounds at the clerk.

The stupid part is that folks believe and robbers sometimes promise that if they comply, then the robbers won't hurt them. It is like they feel they have a legal and binding negotiated deal where compliance and cash are exchanged for remaining unharmed. The only problem is that the negotiation is at the end of a gun and the victim really has no recourse after complying if the bad guy then shoots him. Besides, why would you trust a bad guy to uphold his end of the deal when you know that he is an untrustworthy person, indicated by the fact that he si robbing you.

Do you fight back or comply? That really depends. If you comply fully, you may end up as just a really easy target to shoot by the bad guy who now has your money. If you fight back, you risk pressing the bad guy's firepower into action against you when maybe he really wasn't interested in shooting you. In other words, if you comply, the bad guy is the master of your destiny. If you fight back, you get to participate in mastering your destiny.

Page generated in 0.03361 seconds with 8 queries