View Single Post
Old May 8, 2012, 04:10 PM   #3
kraigwy

Biggest problem people have with antelope hunting is "over" estimating the range.

Antelope are small and often are standing in grass making them look smaller.

I've seen many times people estimating the range to the critters and finding out they are sometimes up to 200 yards off.

I stopped by a group of out of state hunters glassing a mid size buck. They were guessing anywhere from 300 to 480 yards.

I used a range finder and showed them it was 228. I then used a map and protractor which confirmed about 225.

And for God's sake, don't shoot at running antelope. Those puppies can flat out run and its almost impossible to hit them moving.

Be patent. Find a good hay field, set up and wait, eventually they will make their way to the hay fields. Get up wind and behind a rise for your stalking. You can get pretty close if your quiet.

The earlier the season they are less spooky. Don't waste your time hunting mid day, they are napping so take a nap and hunt in the morning and afternoon.

Be careful crawling through the grass while stalking. Year before last I came nose to nose with a rattler.

Learn to adjust for and shoot in the wind. This place, Wyoming, is as Ian Tyson says, "too much wind, not enough whiskey".

No reason for extreme long shots. A few miles per hour era in wind reading will cause a miss or worse a wounded critter. Stick to shooting under 300 yards and the wind wont get you as bad.

For example using a 243 w/100 grn bullets a 3 mph wind era at 300 yards will cause you to be off about 1.5 inches. Where at 600 its nearly 7 inches.

Check your zero for the area you are hunting. Where I hunt its about 4500 ft elevation. Air's different.

Most communities you hunt will have Sight in days before the season opens. Take advantage of it. Our club had free sight in days at our range. (I normally work them).

Don't sight in at the bench, get prone or setting for your sighting in. Never seen a bench on the prairie. Learn to use a sling to steady your position. You'll have time to get into a good position.

Wear heavy britches. It's the Law of the West, that when you go to prone, kneeling or setting you'll be laying or setting or kneeling in cactus.

Don't stay in motels, throw your sleeping bag on the ground and camp where you hunt. Listen to the coyotes, and other prairie sounds. Motels cause you to miss the best part of the hunt.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02269 seconds with 8 queries