View Single Post
Old June 9, 2012, 09:01 PM   #38
HiBC

OK,cool.
Once again,I never did put down a big bore lever action,and I agree an !895 Marlin Guide gun makes sense.

Honest question,hitting above the eye,exiting the rear of the skull,how much does cartridge matter?Suppose a 30-40 Krag would have done as well?

I have been to AK,and,as I recall,there was something about the airline not wanting me to fly with both my Win 97 pump and ammo at the same time.

With time constraints,once in AK,the 12 ga slug ammo available was common soft lead 1 oz foster slugs.

While I did see a few grizzlies while camping,I had no trouble with any of them.

We were at the junction of the Nowitna and Yukon rivers,200 river miles from the haul road when I had issues with a black bear who measured 6ft 6 in nose to tail.No grizzly,but big enough to hurt you,.

It began with my wife getting chomped through the side of the tent.A few seconds later,I opened the little tent door and his face was in it.Reaction,I gentle smacked him across the face with my 97.Not brilliant,but I had not had coffee yet.He did back up.Audacity works sometimes.

I killed him,but those soft lead slugs broke up to lead corn flakes and seriously lacked penetration.First frontal shot took out his lower incisors,did not really continue,lead flakes.He got back up.Second slug stopped in his neck bones.
Some shotgun slugs would be great,but the common slug is a loser on bear.
I then built my .375 Taylor,458 necked down.

Its a 21 in #3 bbl,FNaction,Garrett accralite stock .Most common bolt deer rifles are heavier.I have confidence in it.

With proper loads,I might have confidence in a DPMS lightweight 16 in AR in .338 Federal,or a Bennelli 8 shot riot gun....

But,if I was heading there today,I would take my .375 or a .375 H=H,and I'd bet any moose or bear guide would be happy with my choice,so long as I keep my eyes open when I shoot.

Page generated in 0.03404 seconds with 8 queries