View Single Post
Old June 30, 1999, 01:51 PM   #15
Cheapo

Great comments in this thread. For a bit of perspective, I believe in training a bit beyond what's expected, for both the knowledge of capability, and to "over-train" a bit for the scared spitless loss of skill under stress factor.

Morgan: Sounds like your club does it right. Is it near Denver? I like diabolical, for reasons discussed below.

IDPA seems like the best bet going right now, but I see some over-emphasis on the concealment/carry mode.

Though I agree that the scenarios should be more reality-based than IPSC tends to be, requiring all draws from concealment does not allow me to practice the way I carry while hiking--open carry.

In other words, IDPA is rapidly becoming a club for CCW people and CCW people only. Besides open carry, the seated at the desk scenario, gun in car glovebox (condition empty, mag out no less!), and gun already in the hand scenarios are all neglected.

As far as strictly limiting it to "realistic" based on gunfight statistics, is that how we want our airline pilots to train? After all, 99.9whatever landings are with all engines running, right? Even looking at the "most common" in-flight mishaps, don't they train equally in all, rather than limiting their practice to the David Letterman top ten reasons why the plane crashed?

Since I don't CCW in public places, and carry concealed only on private property under very limited circumstances, the deployment requirements of IDPA don't serve my needs. So I practice those things on my own.

But I sure agree with the IDPA no silly holsters rule!!! Ain't no way you can tell me that a holster that pops the gun out when you sit in a car's bucket seat is "practical." They should have dumped that simple 14-inch hop retention rule 15 years ago.

Page generated in 0.03336 seconds with 8 queries